Brace Genealogy - WashingtonState
Most of the following information came from a "Brace Family Tree"that
Barry J. Kenney put out at Christmas,1989.
He in turn credits the writings of Venner Edmunds Brace.
The Origin of the Name Brace
The name of Brace, Bracey, Bracy is believed to have been used by its
first bearers because their home was a place in the Province called Bresior
Breciin Normandy, France. The name is found in early European, well as
American records, spelled in various ways; the most commonly used spelling
in America was Bracey, Bracy, and Brace. Some early American records use
different spellings of Brace in the same document.
The earliest records in England show an Adulphus de Braci who accompanied
William the Conquerer in the conquest of England in 1066 AD. Records of
Robert de Brasey show in English records also in the 12th century, and
of Ralph Bracy in 1332 AD. In the 15th century a Richard Bracey is on record.
The first of the name in New England was a Thomas Bracy, or Bracie;who
settled in Ipswich, Mass. in 1635, but his records are not complete.
Our Early Brace Ancestor in New England
Stephen Brace, or Bracey, from whom the folks on this page are descended,
first settled in Swanzey, Mass. and came from England, near London. He
was a felt hatter by trade. Since Hartford, Conn. enjoyed more religious
toleration at that time than the very strict puritanism of Massachusetts,
Stephen Brace moved and landed by boat at New Haven, Conn. in 1660. He
took up land as a farmer at Hartford, Conn., where he prospered and acumulated
a sizeable estate for those days.
Stephen Brace I (1644 - 1692), born in London, England married Elizabeth______in
1666. Settled in Swanzea, Plymouth Colony, MA - 1667. Moved to Hartford,
CT - 1669; and had 3 sons and 4 daughters. Died 31 Aug 1692, Hartford,
- Elisheba Brace
- Phebe Brace
- Elizabeth Brace
- Ann Brace
- Stephen Brace II (1672 - 1755) married Hannah Lane in 1701. Died 1755
in Hartford CT. They had 8 sons and 5 daughters.
- Stephen Brace (1702 - )
- William Brace I (1706 - 1781)
- Lieutenant William Brace II (1749 - 1820)
married (c. 1772) Hannah Mills ( -1820) - William fought in the U.S.
Revolutionary war with the New York State Militia of Albany County.
See second marriage to Ruth Whipple below. Photo from John W. Taylor,
Photographer, over 83 & 85 Main Street, Crystal Palace Block, Rochester,
New York. William lived in Cambridge, Washington County, NY; at the end
of his life he lived in Rochester, buried at Hanford's Landing or Bull's
Head Cemetary in Rochester.
- Stephen Brace (1772 - 1808) - married Chloe ? (Jan 10, 1774 - Aug 2, 1852)
Stephen was drowned in early manhood, about 1808, while lumbering on a raft of logs in Glens Fall NY.
Family was raised in Washington County, NY. Offspring:
- Ancilla. Born abt 1807/08
Brace (1774 - 1855) b. 1774 in Green Mountain Tavern, Heartwellville,
Bennington, Vermont. married Rhoda Burnham
- Charles Brace (1799 - ) m. Elizabeth Kellogg
- Belvey Brace (1801 - )
- Amelia Brace (1803 - )
- Harvey Brace (1808 - 1892) married Mary Ann Fisher. Harvey is buried in Spokane, WA.
- John Stuart Brace (1861 - 1918) married Katherine "Kate"
Frankland Brace(1861 - 1924) Another Photo of Kate Frankland Brace - Left to right-top row: Lillian Frankland Denny married to Victor Denny,Aunt
Alice Frankland Nelson, Aunt Kate Frankland Brace, Henry M.Frankland,left
bottom, Charles W. Frankland, Lida Frankland Kinleyside
House at 430 Moltke St (now Boren)- site of J.S. and Kate's marriage
J.S. Brace Obituary
Chamber of Commerce remembrance of J.S. Brace
Photo of Maude, Mage, Nick, Alice, Ben and Cousin Bertha
Photo of Lankey (husb to) Mage, Ben, Kate, Alice, Nick, JS, Maude w/ Janet (McCallum - baby - 1st grandchild Born 6/1916)
Photo of JS Brace Children, along with Cousin Bertha circa 1901
170 Prospect St. Seattle HistoryLink.org essay about this Seattle Landmark home that John and Kate had built.
Pacific Publishing Company - Magnolia couple trace roots to Seattle's early days
A Volume of Memoirs and Genealogy of Representative Citizens of the City of
Seattle and County of King, Washington.
- Harvey Brace, Jr. (1844 - 1909) married Annie M. Nicholls. Annie died when Bertha was 6. Harvey went to Dawson AK to mine, leaving Bertha in the care of the John Stuart Brace family. Harvey re-married at age 64 to Sarah E. McGlothlen, but Harvey died two years later in a Spokane Wa hospital after ankle surgery complications. Harvey was buried in Cashmere cemetary. Sarah managed the Mission Inn in Cashmere, WA. She owned it prior to their marriage. Sarah died at age 90, and is buried in Yakima, WA with the McGlothlen / Knox children.
- George B. Brace
- Thomas Fischer Brace (1842 - ) b. 1842
in Goderich Ontario - 2nd son of Harvey - from E.L. Johnson's Photograph
- Robert Brace
- William A. Brace - photo said "Lewis
John, son of Harvey" on reverse, but "William Brace, brother
of Lewis" on front. Photographed by D. Sutphen, Mt. Morris, New York.
- Louisa Brace (1810 - )
- Davis Brace (1813 - )
- Lewis Brace (1815 - 1871) born August 4, 1815 in Sandy Hill, NY and
died February 23, 1871 in Rio, Wisconsin. Children
of Lewis Brace and Laura Woodward are:
- Luman H. Brace, b. February 8, 1841, m. Mary
- William Henry Brace, b. June 6, 1843; d.
1882 married Mary Helen Ackerman
- Mary J. Brace, b. March 19, 1846, Waterloo, Canada, m. Ed Cole
- Cyrus Brace, b. December 2, 1848, d. January 9, 1873
- Rhoda S. Brace, b. September 25, 1851, m. DeWitt Cole
- John W. Brace, b. August 8, 1854
- Charles H. Brace, b. July 24, 1858, m.
- Hattie Brace, b. August 8, 1861
- Adell Brace, b. December 4, 1863, Portage, New York, d. April 13, 1887
- Permula Brace (1817 - )
- Halsey Roger Brace (1820 - 1902) b. 2/5/1820, d. 4/9/1902. Halsey's
first wife was Betsey, they had four children. Halsey's second wife was
Evelin B. Luther (b. 12/16/1847); they had three children:
- Julia Emogene Brace (Gene)
- Harriet Brace (1822 - )
- Samuel Brace (1776 - )
- Elizabeth "Betsy" Brace (1777 - 1865)
- Anna Brace (1783 - )
- William Brace (1785 - 1872) - b. 1/25/1785 in Cambridge, Washington
County, New York, d. 2/10/1872 in Troy, Bradford PA - married Nancy Harkness
on 3/18/1807; then married Polly Furmon 9/13/1813.
- Timothy Brace (1787 - 1870)
- Lieutenant William Brace II (1749 - 1820)
married (c. 1797) Ruth
Whipple ( - ) -
- Hiram Lyman Brace (b. 5/19/1798)
- Harvey Brace (b. 7/14/1801)
- Sarah Brace (1707 - )
- Daniel Brace (1708 - )
- Elizabeth Brace (1709 - )
- Joseph Brace (1710/11 - )
- Nathaniel Brace (1711 - 1756) Born in Hartford, CT; died in AlbanyNY
- Sarah Brace (1713 - )
- Samuel Brace (1716 - )
- Abigail Brace (1718 - )
- Benjamin Brace (1719/20 - )
- Ruth Brace (1722 - )
- John Brace
- John Brace (1678 - ~1762), married Mary Webster (9/29/1688 - ?) abt
1706,Hartford, Hartford County, Connecticut
- Jonathan Brace (~1707-1787)
- Mary Brace (~1709-1762), married Moses Webster (~1705 - ?) abt 1727,
Hartford,Hartford County, Connecticut (poss)
- Nathaniel Brace (~1713-)
- Elisha Brace (~1714-1751)
- Dorcas Brace (~1717-1778)
- Rebecca Brace (~1721-)
- Joseph Brace (~1724-)
- Henry Bracy (1680 - )
Backto the Genealogy Page
Backto the Home Page
Send e-mail to: Todd&Sharon